Sunday, March 2, 2014

Too N.B. or not too N.B.?

I am so excited to share “MY NEW THaNG” I learned the other day!

So I am taking an online class and the class is given a syllabus. And as I read through the text, I come across the initials “N.B.” and I stop to think:

“N.B.”
  • What is that?
  • What does that signify?
  • What does it stand for?

I proceeded to scan the text for a connection to what the initials could possibly mean and I couldn’t found anything remotely close to explaining what the initials meant. So of course, I started to make up things in my mind, as to what “N.B.” could possibly be: “No Body”, “Not Bad” are just a few of the possibilities I conjured up. So I gave up trying to figure out this mysterious mystery of the secret initials for a few weeks. Then those initials,“N.B.” came up again, later in class.

So I thought, maybe these initials are worth investigating since they had appeared several times thought out the course. Well, I Googled, “N.B.” to find out the meaning of these cryptic initials. And here is what I discovered:

“N.B”. stands for:
  1. Nota Bene /no·ta be·ne/ verb: n.b.; verb: N.B. observe carefully or take special notice (used in written text to draw attention to what follows). (Google Search:What does n.b. stand for?)
  2. Nota Bene, derived from the Latin (and Italian) meaning note well (take notice). It is used to draw the attention to a certain aspect. (http://english.stackexchange.com/a/24598)
  3. Nota Bene - note well in Latin, basically just "note".(http://english.stackexchange.com/a/24597)


Now it all make sense now, our professor had added “N.B.” to the syllabus in order to emphasize extremely notable points and concerns that needs special attention above all else.




Well, that's “MY NEW THaNG” until next time. I hope this was insightful for you as it was for me.



N.B., If you wish, share your comments below:

No comments:

Post a Comment