Wednesday, March 19, 2014

“Emoji” Pop Culture


MY NEW THaNG, I discovered this week was learning how to use the Emoji keyboard on my Samsung phone.

Now everyone knows that “Emoji” is the animated designs that include just about anything you can think of from smiley faces to flowers to birthday cakes. And it is originally from Japan meaning pictograph, the word emoji literally means "picture" (e) + "letter" (moji). ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji )See example below:


OS_X_mini_character_palette_showing_Emoji_emoticons.png ‎(324 × 235 pixels, file size: 61 KB, MIME type: image/png)

So I recently changed from an iPhone to an Android OS, and the formats are striking different platforms. And of course I was so irritated that my emoji keyboard was not available on my new Samsung, I was thinking what is the point of this brand new phone and I can’t use emoji’s. What a bummer?! I felt so left out seeing my friend’s texting, tweeting and facebooking with emojis. So I tried to download an app but they all had disclaimers of some sort not guaranteeing the emoji graphic would be viewable. And I just wasn’t satisfied with that.

One day my son and I were discussing phones and he asked why I didn’t use any emojis when texting and I told him, my phone wasn’t capable. Well he took my phone and starting tapping, shifting and bingo! I do have access to a factory installed emoji keyboard. Now here's the thing, he doesn’t have a this phone but he knew exactly how to access the emoji keyboard. I didn’t even ask how, I just wanted him to show me how to access the emoji keyboard on my own. He proceeded to show me what he did and I tried it myself under his watchful tutelage and I have not looked back since.

I just love that I can go to my kids and find out all the cool new THaNGS that keep me hip!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment