Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Who kNEW?

I hope you are enjoying the NEW THaNGS that I have shared thus far. I am super excited to share my NEW THaNG for this week. And all I have to say is “Who kNEW?”

Ever been with a group of people and the subject just changes to all kinds of random topics? Not even sure who brought it up or even why it was brought up.

I bet you don’t know why AMBULANCE is spelled backwards on the front of emergency vehicles?

Now I noticed it before, a few years ago, from a friend who pointed it out as weird that such an important word was spelled backwards. I too thought it was very weird but chalked it up to a bad detail job or maybe because ambulances was made in Europe. I know far-fetched right?

OK! Back to our question, now we all stood bewildered and a little puzzled from entertaining such an out of the box question, but we decided to go along with the short quiz. I had no answer, as was a few others. Some shook their heads and replied, “I don’t know.”

Well I have to say is “Who kNEW?”

Below is the explanation, as to why the word AMBULANCE is spelled backward on the front of emergency vehicles:

“The word 'ambulance' is spelled backwards on the front of a modern day ambulance vehicle so that the vehicles ahead can easily read the word. This is since the drivers check vehicles behind them using the rear view mirrors, which usually show words from backwards and upside down. This therefore means that spelling the words backwards would make the driver in front be able to read the word normally.”
http://www.ask.com/question/why-is-ambulance-spelled-backwards



Look out for the next AMBULANCE you see, (always remember safety first) and check out the NEW THaNG you picked up today.


Did you already know this fact or was this a NEW THaNG? Leave comment.

2 comments:

  1. I did not know that. Now I will be looking out for it! Thanks, Teda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete